Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Chinese beef curry

WELL I refuse to lie around like an invalid.
Yesterday, to show how big and hard I am and in order to conquer this malady, I struggle into work (well walk anyway), grab the bull by the horns and get to the pub by 2.
That's right, no dodgy doctor is going to keep me from living my life naturally. And I bought some fags, too.
Caught up with Withers, mooning over the ginger (sorry, redhead, for political correctness) barmaid.
"Ooh, she spoke to me," he cooed.
Yeh, her opening gambit was something like: "What can I get you to drink, sir?"
We were joined by Roberts, who now has an insatiable interest in podcasting, and Becks.
As the afternoon wore on, and after Becks departed because he has a life, Roberts suddenly announced: "I think us three and Rosey should go speed dating".
Uhh! I can't believe Roberts just said that. Withers isn't keen either, he knows Rosey will be like a giant hoover, sweeping for phone numbers.
Actually, when Rosey gets there it will probably have to change its name to slow dating. A minute a date? Rosey has three in that time. Only joking. Not.
Anyway, Withers finally kicks the idea into touch after giving it serious consideration for about a second. And all for the right reasons. "We'd have to pay, wouldn't we?"
Good point, but aren't all dates like that?

Got home after far too many beers. Feeling dizzy again, but pretty sure it's just the effect the alcohol has had on me after a "dry" weekend. Time to cook up a storm with a recipe I picked up from Ken Hom on the TV. I think he was cooking for a fire crew. Me? I'm just cooking for me, but with roughly the same amount of ingredients. It means I can use up the rest of the roasting joint, which this time I cut into thin beef slices.

YOU NEED:
Beef slices marinated for 20 mins in a teaspoon dark soy sauce, 2 tsps sesame oil, a splash of rice wine and two tsp of cornflower.
2 coarsely chopped garlic cloves
1/2 - 1 coarsely chopped onion
two extra tablespoons rice wine
2 tsp light soy sauce
A large tablespoon worth of madras curry paste
A small amount of water or chicken stock.

TO COOK:
Get the wok really hot
Add splash of peanut oil and heat until smoking
Add marinated beef and stir quickly to brown outside without overcooking
Remove meat from wok and turn down to medium
Fry the garlic and onion.
Add rice wine, soy, water and madras paste.
Bring to boil and return meat to pan.
Cook for further 10 mins, stirring regularly.

The great thing about this is it does have that authentic chinese curry taste that you get in the chippy or chinese takeaway. It's not too Indian, despite the Madras paste.
Settle down to eat and watch The Godfather II. Bit more confusing than it was on the previous 20 times I've seen it - but I'll put that down to the excess alcohol in my system.
Decided finally to have an early night. It works wonders, but I won't be making a habit of it.

No comments: