Thursday, March 19, 2009

meatball and chickpea rice

THE latest signs of impending old age hit me hard on Tuesday.
You don't really notice it happening and then it creeps up on you in increments.
It started a little while ago when I was standing outside with the little bowling ball, having a cigarette, when I looked at my feet and realised I had a different shoe on each foot. Not a good look for Meeja Wales, particularly when one is in the position of the Executive Editor.
Then there has been the odd episode of putting salt in the fridge, pouring hot water into a cup without remembering to include the tea bag or, worst still, making a cup of tea without having actually boiled the kettle.
But Tuesday was probably the worst example, because it was a wee bit embarrassing. Which is why I am telling you lot in the best read blog this side of Withers's political tome.
At about midday I fancied a wazz, or a wizz, or a jimmy riddle, or whatever you prefer to call it, so I hot tailed it to the little boys' room. Approaching the urinal I fumbled around for, in the words of the witty Russell Brand, my "dinkle". But however much I struggled I couldn't seem to find it.
It was then that reality struck - I had put my jockey shorts on the wrong way around.
There was an immediate retreat to a cubicle where I was forced to strip down, right the horrendous wrong, and then put my trousers back on and make my way back to the newsroom without anyone noticing.
I guess this was how Cameo felt when he realised he was wearing his pants outside his trousers in that famous Word Up video...

Oh yes, the little bowling ball now has a world profile. It is because, ladies and gentlemen, the new Google Street View site actually shows him in all his glory, cowering around the corner of the old Thomson House building, sneaking a crafty fag.
It's brill. Anyone who wants to see his masterful protruding gut (through which I immediately recognised him) should go to Google Maps UK and type in Park Street, Cardiff, then look at one of the side entrances where you will see the little man in all his glory. Actually, having said that, I've looked again and it probably isn't him, but it was a nice idea while it lasted.
Good old Basil, though, gets a good show parked outside my house. I appear to have my curtains closed on a sunny early summer's day. Must have been a hangover day...

Wren came over last night and I decided to show off all my culinary talent by cooking a few Indian meals. We had Balti chops with Paneer Cheese and pepper curry along with meatball and chickpea rice. Amazing...
Here is how I did the rice.
Ingredients:
1/2lb mince
tsp salt
tsp garam masala
a handful of coriander chopped v small
1 egg
cumin seeds
garlic
tin of chickpeas
plenty of plain rice

To do:
Soak the rice in warm water for half an hour.
Make the meatballs by mixing the mince with the salt, garam masala, coriander and egg. Roll into small balls then dry fry in a frying pan until turning brown.
Remove from heat.
Heat some oil in a deep saucepan.
Add the meatballs, some bruised cumin seeds and some crushed garlic
Cook for about three minutes then add chick peas and as much water as you will imagine you will need for the rice.
Then add the rice and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes, then when the water is nearly soaked up put heat on to lowest setting and cover with foil to steam for another 10 minutes.
Voila, meatball and chickpea rice

No comments: