Saturday, September 02, 2006

Baked ziti with dah little meatballs

Sunday

Well, I guess this is cheating but I've already made the ziti so I might as well warm it up and eat it. Thank God Saturday's out of the way again - it's been a pretty busy day what with the rugby season starting again and the Wales soccer team playing in the Czech Republic. Everything came in pretty late, too, so I was still in the office at midnight.
The hangover wasn't too bad at first on account of the fact I was still basking in the euphoria of the previous night, but as lunchtime approached the brain got slower and slower until I was having to function on automatic.
Dinner from the House of Lard (carbonara, pasta and chips) was most welcome and helped to revive my mood, but by the midnight hour I was starving.
Anyway baked ziti is pretty filling and not too tricky to make once you've made the meatballs mentioned earlier in the lasagne recipe. Here goes...
What you need:
Leftover tiny meatballs and Italian sausage
ziti pasta from a deli, broken into about two inch pieces and cooked in the normal way.
Ricotta, Mozzarella and parmigian cheese.
Sunday gravy (made last Sunday and kept in the fridge)

Once ziti has been cooked, mix with meatballs, sausage, tomato and half a cup of parmigian.
Put half the ziti in a casserole
spread over ricotta and add small squares of mozzarella
Add a layer of gravy
Put in the rest of the ziti
cover with sauce and the a good smothering of parmigian.
Cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven on an average heat, gas mark 4 or 375.
Cook for about 20 minutes then remove foil and cook for about 10/20 mins more.
Remove from oven and leave to stand.
Spoon big dollops on plate and add chilli flakes.
tuck in.
That is about the end of the Sunday gravy but it's kept me going throughout the week. This week I will be mostly cooking Chinese.

No comments: