Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ainsley's chow mein

EVER since my trip to the docs on Monday I have been treating my body as a Temple. I have cut down the ciggies drastically, haven't had a serious drink, swum 50 lengths, walked to work and cut out the red meat while reducing my salt, coffee and tea intake.
All that changed yesterday.
By the time I stumbled out of The Yard after a good sesh with Withers, Roberts, the Prince and Shutts I had forgotten all about my blood pressure. Come to think of it, I'd forgotten my name, my profession and my age. I had even lost the power of speech.
Well, it was my first drink since Friday and I hadn't really eaten anything significant earlier in the day (I blame that bloody blood pressure leaflet).
Withers, meanwhile, has just returned from Galway Bay after landing a freebie. It sounds like he had a good time though why you would waste a trip to see the delights of Gourmet Galway on a vegetarian beats me. I am assured, though, that the Monkfish was magnificent.
To be fair, Withers was positively beaming on his return so, for that reason alone, it's good that he has finally landed himself a trip somewhere.

Chow mein from Ainsley Harriot's meals-in-minutes cookbook is a very tasty, very quick meal to prepare.
YOU NEED:
Plain noodles
Sesame oil
Cooked Chicken, shredded
One onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
a small amount of chopped ginger
Mange tout, halved
beansprouts
2 tsp soy sauce
Sweet chilli sauce
pepper

TO DO:
Boil some water in a pan, add noodles and cook for 3 - 5 mins, then plunge into cold water and add some sesame oil.
Meanwhile heat a wok until its hot, add a tablespoon of sunflower oil.
When hot, add the chopped onion and stir-fry until it is starting to brown.
Add the sliced garlic, ginger, beansprouts (if you have them, if not use extra noodles) and mangetout.
Cook for another 3-4 mins, stirring, then add the noodles, shredded chicken and soy sauce.
Heat through thoroughly, for another 3-4 mins, stirring, then add the sweet chilli sauce and pepper.
Warm through and serve.

No comments: